Part of the purpose of this blog is to document my journey as an educator, leader, and learner. In order to be more transparent in my growth I am aligning my journey with the leadership standards put forth by the British Columbia Principals and Vice Principals Association. Please click the domain to access stories and examples from my experience that link to particular standards.
LEADERSHIP STANDARDS FOR PRINCIPALS AND VICE-PRINCIPALS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA (2013)
Domain 1: Moral Stewardship: focuses on the principal’s and vice-principal’s role in setting and sustaining a sense of moral purpose and in making ethical decisions within schools.
Standard 1: Values, Vision, and Mission
- Principals and vice-principals guide the development and implementation of shared values, vision, mission, and goals to support learning and achievement for all students.
Standard 2: Ethical Decision Making
- Principals and vice-principals articulate the process of decision making using an ethical framework based on the moral purpose and direction of the school.
Domain 2: Instructional Leadership: emphasizes the principal’s and vice-principal’s role in improving the quality of teaching and learning for students and adults.
Standard 3: Supervision for Learning
- Principals and vice-principals engage in effective supervision that focuses on instructional and assessment practices that maximize student development, engagement, and learning.
Standard 4: Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Principals and vice-principals are knowledgeable and provide guidance regarding current curricula, instructional and assessment practices and their impact on student development, engagement, and learning.
Domain 3: Relational Leadership: describes the importance of emotional intelligence and how the principal’s and vice principal’s intrapersonal, interpersonal, and cultural competencies influence relationships to support student and adult learning and achievement.
Standard 5: Intrapersonal Capacity
- Principals and vice-principals demonstrate self-knowledge and personal qualities that support positive relationships and build cultures of integrity.
Standard 6: Interpersonal Capacity
- Principals and vice-principals build and support positive and effective working relationships within the school and community for all.
Standard 7: Cultural Leadership
- Principals and vice-principals develop and sustain a culture and climate that supports student and adult learning.
Domain 4: Organizational Leadership: focuses on the principal’s and vice-principal’s role in strengthening culture, building organizational learning, and collaborative processes.
Standard 8: Management and Administration
- Principals and vice-principals strategically plan and manage to strengthen the school’s capacity to support student development, engagement, and learning.
Standard 9: Community Building
- Principals and vice-principals build positive and effective interdependencies between the school, families and the larger community.