Part of the purpose of this blog is to document my journey as an educator, leader, and learner. In order to be more transparent in my growth I am aligning my journey with the leadership standards put forth by the British Columbia Principals and Vice Principals Association. Please click the domain to access stories and examples from my experience that link to particular standards.
LEADERSHIP STANDARDS FOR PRINCIPALS AND VICE-PRINCIPALS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA (2007)
Standard 1: Values, Vision, and Mission
- Principals and vice-principals guide the development and implementation of shared values, vision, mission, and goals to support learning and achievement for all students.
Standard 2: Leadership for Learning
- Principals and vice-principals foster quality teaching and learning opportunities to support student learning and achievement.
Standard 3: Supervision for Learning
- Principals and vice-principals create a system and structures for effective supervision focused on instructional and assessment practices that maximize student learning and achievement.
Standard 4: Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Principals and vice-principals are knowledgeable and provide guidance regarding current curricula, instructional and assessment practices and their impact on student learning and achievement.
Standard 5: Learning Culture and Climate
- Principals and vice-principals develop and sustain a culture and climate to support student and adult learning.
Standard 6: Community Building
- Principals and vice-principals build positive and effective interdependencies between the school, families and the larger community.
Standard 7: Systems Thinking and Planning
- Principals and vice-principals incorporate systems thinking to strategically plan and manage for student learning and achievement.
Standard 8: Intrapersonal Capacity
- Principals and vice-principals demonstrate self-knowledge and personal qualities that support positive relationships and build cultures of integrity.
Standard 9: Interpersonal Capacity
- Principals and vice-principals build and support positive and effective working relationships within the school and community