2016-17 GOAL (DRAFT – in progress):
To create the conditions for a more positive staff culture in the school.
BCPVPA Standards that are the focus of the goal:
Domain 1: Moral Stewardship
Standard 1: Values, Vision, and Mission
- Principals and Vice-Principals guide the development and implementation of shared values, vision, mission, and goals to support engagement, learning, and success for all learners.
Domain 3: Relational Leadership
Standard 5: Intrapersonal Capacity
- Principals and vice-principals demonstrate self-knowledge and personal qualities that support positive relationships and build cultures of integrity.
Standard 6: Interpersonal Capacity
- Principals and Vice-Principals build and support positive, effective working relationships within the school and community for all.
Standard 7: Cultural Leadership
- Principals and Vice Principals build and support positive, effective working relationships within the school.
If I focus on the strengths of staff and create the conditions for a more positive, collaborative staff culture, will we engage in more regular, reflective dialogue and create actions for change that drive staff and student learning forward?
- Determine with staff the qualities of a positive staff culture (Completed)
- Determine with staff the barriers to a positive staff culture
- Create a strengths-based culture for staff
- Continue to use our staff meeting/collaboration commitments to model and guide behaviours
- Build trust through active listening, effective management, and caring leadership.
- Blog: Sometimes We Don’t Need to Fix It… We Just Need to Shut Up and Listen
- Blog: Listen With Your Eyes
- Blog: Building Staff Culture: The Importance of TRUST
- Building a collaborative culture by doing the work (blog post coming soon)
- Attend workshops sessions as a team
- Dr. Ross Greene sessions
- Faye Brownlie sessions
- Shelley Moore session
- Create the conditions for staff leadership by tapping into strengths
- Pro-D Days, staff meetings, collaboration time
- Provide space to discuss and implement strategies for wellness (balance, rest, happiness, care)
- Staff meetings
- Modeling with staff and sharing effective practice
- Blog: How taking email off my phone helped me win the inbox battle and live more in the moment
- Staff survey on school culture and growth (to be developed)
- Staff survey on how I am doing with regards to the “4 Pillars” and associated values (to be developed)
- Shared our experience with organization culture at workshops in Edmonton and Calgary (Feb/Mar 2017) with administrators and school leaders (slides are here and embedded below). Positive feedback was received by organizers.
- Book: The Speed of Trust by Stephen MR Covey
- Book: Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind by Nancy Kline
- Book: The Innovator’s Mindset: Empower Learning, Unleash Talent, and Lead a Culture of Creativity by George Couros
- Book: The Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni
- Book: Spirals of Inquiry for Equity and Quality by Judy Halbert and Linda Kaser
- Book: Making Thinking Visible by Ron Ritchart
- Book: The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology That Fuel Success and Performance at Work by Shawn Achor
- Book: Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard by Chip and Dan Heath
- Book: Just Listen: Discover the Secret to Getting Through to Absolutely Anyone by Mark Goulston
- Book: Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink
- Book: Reshaping School Culture: Implementing a Strengths-Based Approach in Schools by Edward Rawana, et al.
- Book: School Culture by Design by Phil Boyte
- Book: Groups at Work: Strategies and Structures for Professional Learning by Laura Lipton and Bruce Wellman
- Book: Professional Capital: Transforming Teaching in Every School by Andy Hargreaves and Michael Fullan
- Book: Rest: Why You Get More Done When You Work Less by Alex Soojung-Kim Pang
- Book: Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown