Note: The opinions expressed on this blog are solely of my opinion and not the opinions of my school or district.
Currently working as a school principal at James Hill Elementary School in Langley, BC. Previous to this, I was principal at Kent Elementary School in Agassiz, BC. I have spent my career working with students as a high school physical education, math, and science teacher, an intermediate teacher, an elementary vice-principal, as well as a high school volleyball, rugby, track, and basketball coach.
I am a husband to a wonderful wife who runs her own dance studio; I am a proud father of twin girls and a son.
Why “The Wejr Board”? Growing up, people often made fun of my last name (pronounced Weej-er) and one of them was Weejee (Ouija) Board… which then transformed into Wejr Board… now, one of my passions is discussing the ‘future’ of education so why not use the Wejr Board to do this?
I look forward to participating in the conversations that arise from this blog. If you agree or disagree with my blogs, please leave comments as this keeps the dialogue going and encourages more learning for me.
Connect with me through my about.me page.
Follow me on Twitter @ChrisWejr
Have a question or a request? Please use my Contact Page
My Experience in Education:
- completed K-12 schooling in Hope, British Columbia – graduated from Hope Secondary School (1994)
- attended University of Victoria from 1994-2000 – Bachelor of Education (PE, Biological Sciences)
- Taught at Brookswood Secondary School in Langley, BC (gr. 8-12) from 2000-2007 (PE, math, science)
- Coached volleyball, basketball, track; started and directed the South Langley Volleyball Club
- attended University of British Columbia from 2006-2008 – Masters of Education (Educational Leadership)
- Worked as Vice Principal of Kent Elementary in Agassiz, BC (K-6) from 2007-2009 (taught grades 5-6)
- Participated in the BC Educational Leadership Council seminar series – 2007-2008
- Worked as Principal of Kent Elementary and taught reading with primary students from 2009-2013
- Currently working as Principal of James Hill Elementary (Jan 2014 – present) and teaching intermediate classes in Langley, BC.
A parent on our school PAC forwarded your blog to us so that we could see Identity Day. Oddly enough I had just assigned a similar project last week. You taught my twin boys Gr. 8 math in 2005-2006 at Brookswood. They still describe you as one of the best teachers they ever had. I keep hoping you’ll come back to Langley. We are expecting lots of admin. retirements soon.
VP RC Garnett Elem.
Wow… thank you so much, Carol, for taking the time to stop by. I remember your boys well – great to have had the privilege of working with them! If you ever need help with Identity Day, be sure to let me know. Also, I would be interested in hearing more about the similar project at your school! Hope that our paths cross in the near future!
Excellent post Chris. Refreshing to see a BC principal taking on policy issues. This is true educational leadership.
http://connectedprincipals.com/archives/11558 found this and realized how much value this content could add to our ESOL program here https://wyischina.com/ as we serve cultural and linguistic diversity. Thanks for your work!
Love your post regarding the “Four Posts of Positive Staff Culture.” We would love to reprint this in our monthly newsletter – may we have permission to do so – with, of course, source reference to your blog? Please advise.
Hey Jo Ann. I would be honoured. Please let me know how I can grab a digital or paper copy when it’s published. Thank you for sharing our school’s positive experience.
Thank you Chris – it will appear in our June Newsletter. You can access a copy at: http://www.childconnectmi.org